Building Africa's Food Sovereignty and Resilience through Sustainable Investments
Tuesday, 25th July, 10:30-11:30
The Inter Departmental Task Force on African Affairs meeting's objective is guided by Africa's quest to identify pathways and key drivers that enable sustainable and quality investments to build efficient agri-food systems to shape Africa's food sovereignty and resilience that hinges on the African Common Position on Food Systems as desired by the Malabo Declaration.
Africa must coalesce to realize its aspiration to build its food sovereignty and resilience through sustainable investments by leveraging the African Common Position on Food System's game-changing solutions and enabling policies and partnerships. Building resilient food systems requires significant investments. About US$76 billion annually is estimated to be needed until 2030 to transform African food systems. In 2019, Africa spent around US$12 billion on agriculture which was three times the level of 2001. Africa is still well below the 10% level.
The session will focus on the following questions:
- How to unlock the capital and investments needed to finance Africa's transformation of agri-food systems?
- What are the key pillars of a policy advocacy strategy to support expanding investment finance in agriculture in Africa?
- How can we promote stakeholder agreement around key elements of an African financing agenda for food system transformation?
This session aims to:
- Enhance investment finance in agriculture.
- Improve support to smallholders, especially women, and youth, with financing tailored to their needs.
- Articulate key elements of an African financing agenda for food systems transformation.
- Identify priority actions to realize the agenda under domestic resource mobilization, public expenditures, support to and de-risking of sustainable private Finance, and financial inclusion.
Ms. Folly Bah-Thibault
H.E. Ms. Amina J. Mohammed
UN Deputy Secretary-General
H.E. Mr. Ahmed Mathode Nunow
Minister for Agriculture and Irrigation of the Federal Republic of Somalia
H.E. Ms. Fitsum Assefa
Minister of Planning and Development of the Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia
H.E. Mr. Ildephonse Musafiri
Minister of Agriculture and Animal Resources of the Republic of Rwanda
Mr. Qu Dongyu
Director-General of FAO
H.E. Ms. Josefa Leonel Correia Sacko
Commissioner for Agriculture, Rural Development, Blue Economy and Sustainable Environment, African Union Commission (AUC)
Mr. Alvaro Lario
President of the International Fund of Agricultural Development (IFAD)
Ms. Cindy McCain
Executive Director of WFP
Mr. Ibrahim Mayaki
AU Special Envoy on Food Systems
Ms. Agnes Kalibata
President of AGRA
Mr. Babafemi Oyewole
Chief Executive Officer, Pan-African Farmers Organization
Ms. Ndidi Nwuneli
Founder/Executive Chair - African Food Changemakers
Ms. Emanuela Del Re
European Union Special Representative for the Sahel Former Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs